kirkkittell.com > The Beauty of Lies

26 February 2008

Finite Element, WEFT Sessions - (1) Turning Into Energy

While searching through my archival boxes -- allocating junk from one box to another, too irresolute to part with much of it -- I found some artifacts from a bygone era: music. Oh ho, not just any music, but music that I had a part in making. I'd say it was more junk, but some of the songs that Sunil wrote were pretty good; it's not his fault I play the bass guitar like a busted robot.

Finite Element (go ahead and snicker now, nerds) consisted of three of us who were in the same aerospace engineering senior design course together at the University of Illinois. We also played together for a while in grad school, when we recorded our one EP in 2004: The Beauty of Lies (Now you know the namesake of this blog.)

So, in the interest of (1) sharing something of mine with you and (2) assuaging my paranoia by ensuring that not all of this music gets wasted if I die or my apartment complex burns down, I introduce you to the recorded catalog of Finite Element music. I'll post a new song periodically. I have a few things on .mp3:


  • WEFT Sessions -- recorded live on 90.1FM, WEFT, Champaign, IL on 1 December 2003

  • Various demos from spring and summer 2003

  • The Beauty of Lies (actually... I need to acquire these mp3s from Sunil or Kevin, I just have the CD... so I lied about this one, but... look at the title, chaval...)



We'll start with WEFT Sessions.


Today's selection: the first song of our set, Turning Into Energy.

This song is notable because, well, the studio engineer -- who was quite awesome, he did lots of great work when I later volunteered as an "airshifter" at WEFT -- must have hit the slider for the guitar volume between sound check and the beginning of our set. That is: you can't hear the guitar. Ah, opportunity: you should be cranking up the bass anyway, kids, 'cos that's me. (Don't fret: the studio guy realizes the mistake in song 2, leading to just a touch of overcompensation, but we'll get to that tomorrow...)

For all songs from WEFT Sessions, 1 Dec 2003, see the posts with the label: WEFT Sessions 1 December 2003